Wednesday, November 2, 2016

I LOVE Plickers!



At this time last year I was teaching 5th grade.  A fellow teacher introduced me to Plickers and I was hooked.  Since that time I switched jobs.  I am now the technology coordinator/teacher at Sts. Peter and Paul Catholic School in Haubstadt, IN.  I work with absolutely amazing educators.  The staff here embraces technology and is eager to learn more and more and more.

In October I introduced Plickers to the staff at one of our faculty meetings.  To say my presentation was a success is far from true.  The technology didn't want to work the way I wanted it to.  I was a tad flustered. I have spoken at national conferences with less anxiety than I had that day.  However, I apparently sparked the interest in many of my co-workers!

Blow you see some pictures of Plickers at work in our Science Classroom.  Remember I said that the technology did not want to cooperate during my PD Session?  Well, this teacher's Smart Board was not working when she decided to begin using Plickers.  If you look closely at her board you will see the projector is missing.  This did not deter our veteran teacher!  She chose to push forward and take the plunge to become a Plickers user.  She entered all of her questions from a post test or her students and read the questions to them.  They held up their Plicker cards and she scanned away!  One thing I always told teachers when I trained them -technology does not always work the way we want so have a back up plan!  Mrs. Feller, the Science teacher, has now introduced Plickers to all of her Science classes.  When the students come to see me they are so excited to tell me about it (they don't know I already know!).



The next set of pictures are from Miss Erny, one of our Kindergarten teachers.  She fell in love with Plickers and has used it in her own unique way, too.  We all know that not all Kindergarten students are reading fluently at this time of the year.  Therefore, she decided to share her worksheet on the board with multiple choice answers.  Then the students used their Plicker Cards to answer!  Yes, it was extra work for her to put the questions into Plickers and then into her Smart software but it was well worth it when she saw how excited her students were to use the cards.


As I stated earlier in my post, I work with an amazing staff of educators.  I can honestly say that there is NOT one teacher who runs from using technology.  They ALL want to find ways to put it to work for their students.  I know that as time passes, more of the teachers here will begin to use Plickers!

After I submitted my PD session to Plickers I was thrilled to receive two sets of Plickers cards!  I put out a little contest to the staff to find the most creative lessons.  Mrs. Feller and Miss Erny use Plickers so much now that I awarded them each with a set of the fancy Plickers cards!  Thanks, Plickers!  I am so lucky to be a part of the Plickers Ambassadors Program!



No comments:

Post a Comment