Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Teaching with Videos

I remember times when I was teaching and had to be absent.  I wanted something neat to get the student's attention while I was gone.  I used things like Voki and even created video lessons for them.  Substitute teachers are hard to find and when you do - you have to have sympathy for them.  Unfortunately, they don't get the full respect they need from the students.  Here is a neat tool that could help on days you can't be at school or if you want to try somewhat of a flipped lesson.

First - I hope you are a Google user!!  If you follow my blog, newsletters, etc - you know I LOVE my Google.  In Google Drive:


  • click on Create
  • connect more apps
  • search for VideoNot.es
  • install this extension/app in your Google Drive
Creating with VideoNot.es is easy!  You simply find the video you want to use.  For this example I used a beautiful video of dolphins and whales.  The YouTube link I used is http://youtu.be/Bo_f8mV5khg.




I then went to my VideoNot.es and used the shorten URL given above and created this:
(you will need VideoNot.es installed to view) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1KeJK28opiIcXRPMWlUYWxpcWs/edit?usp=sharing

You will see the video on the left and notes on the right.  There are timestamps highlighted on the right.  If you click on the timestamp it will take you to that point in the video and you can see what the note is talking about.

Pretty cool!  The video is beautiful, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment